Wednesday, May 28, 2014

An 8 Cow Wife.

       So if you have ever seen the movie Johnny Lingo you have probably heard of the term "8 Cow Wife." When I was younger I thought to myself... What does that even mean. My worth is far greater than 8 cows. Plus no one buy anyone anymore especially with farm animals. Johnny Lingo loved Mahana so much that he was willing to do anything to marry her, he never had to give the dad 8 cows but he knew that her worth was far greater than what her dad treated her like.
    But my whole perspective changed when we decided on that theme of being an 8 cow wife for girls camp many ions ago. I hated myself more than ever especially in Young Women's. I always compared myself to every other girl there, how they look and acted was perfect in my eyes. I didn't realize that being an 8 cow wife was what I would want to be now.
   So who is an eight cow wife? She doesn't have to be the best dressed lady, with the nice clothes and great hair. She IS full of life, has a grateful heart, she knows that she is a daughter of God, and will never settle for less. She has a strong testimony and stands up for what she believes. She knows that God will provide, and is proud to be a mother and a wife. And trust me I know that there is no perfect spouse.
   I remember being in Young Women's writing lists about what I wanted in a man. Of course on there was like "tall, dark, and handsome." I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I kind of just copied everyone else, ya know "attractive, kind, loving." Yeah looks are nice, but they sure aren't everything. I thought that when I grew up having a man in the priesthood wouldn't have to be on the list, I seriously thought it was all about the looks. HAHA. I didn't think I would ever get married in the temple, and even thought about leaving the church when I was done with High school. There are so many things that say like become the person you want to meet or be with, and I guess I really need to work on that. My list has changed though. And looks are just a bonus now. ;) My list has grown to more appropriate things like "worthy priesthood holder, respects mother, loves God more than I" with that said I have a lot to work on.
    As women I think understanding our worth is one of the most important things we do as part of our eternal journey. Men and Women. We are not less than another person even if we do not have the fancy clothes or perfect tan. God made us the way we are, and has made the perfect someone for us. He knows what we need. He knows our insecurities and our weaknesses. But he also sees us for our strengths and gifts that we posses. I know that I am worth more than I think I am, because I am here, and God let that be.
     I guess I am writing about this because people ask me "Are you dating anyone? Do you have a boyfriend?" I say no. Their responses are almost unbearable! "WHY?" hmmm I don't know probably because God has a plan, so now I am waiting for his perfect timing. "You're such a great girl" they say. Thanks. I guess... Not really helping, I think I have a lot to learn before being in a relationship and God knows that. He really does know me better than I know myself. YES. I am almost 20, and still very single. In Utah terms I am some sort of old maid. But guess what? I am okay with that. If it means that I become a better woman before marriage then so be it. I never want to settle for less, and maybe that is why I am still single. But it's OKAY. :) I am very content with all of this. I want to become an 8 cow wife. So I deserve an 8 cow husband.



No comments:

Post a Comment